Express & Star

Israel will establish new security corridor across Gaza, says Netanyahu

The Israeli PM described the new corridor as the Morag corridor, using the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis.

By contributor Wafaa Shurafa and Isaac Scharf, Associated Press
Published
Last updated
Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations stand in northern of Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel
Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations stand in northern of Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel (Leo Correa/AP)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel is establishing a new security corridor across the Gaza Strip to pressure Hamas, suggesting it would cut off the southern city of Rafah, which Israel has ordered evacuated, from the rest of the Palestinian territory.

The announcement came after Mr Netanyahu’s defence minister said Israel would seize large areas of Gaza and add them to its so-called security zones.

A wave of Israeli strikes, meanwhile, killed more than 40 Palestinians, including several women and children, according to Palestinian health officials.

Israel has vowed to escalate the nearly 18-month war with Hamas until the militant group returns dozens of remaining hostages, disarms and leaves the territory.

Israel ended a ceasefire in March and has imposed a month-long halt on all imports of food, fuel and humanitarian aid.

Mr Netanyahu described the new axis as the Morag corridor, using the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis, suggesting it would run between the two southern cities.

He said it would be “a second Philadelphi corridor” – referring to the Gaza side of the border with Egypt further south, which has been under Israeli control since last May.

Israel has also reasserted control over the Netzarim corridor, also named for a former settlement, that cuts off the northern third of Gaza, including Gaza City, from the rest of the narrow coastal strip.

Both of the existing corridors run from the Israeli border to the Mediterranean Sea.

“We are cutting up the strip, and we are increasing the pressure step by step, so that they will give us our hostages,” Mr Netanyahu said.

Palestinians inspect a UN building after it was hit by an Israeli strike, in Jabaliya, northern Gaza Strip
Palestinians inspect a UN building after it was hit by an Israeli strike, in Jabaliya, northern Gaza Strip (Jehad Alshrafi/AP)

In northern Gaza, an Israeli air strike hit a UN building in the built-up Jabaliya refugee camp, killing 15 people, including nine children and two women, according to the Indonesian Hospital.

The Israeli military said it struck Hamas militants in a command and control centre.

The building, previously a clinic, had been converted into a shelter for displaced people, with more than 700 residing there, according to Juliette Touma, a spokesperson for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, the main aid provider in Gaza.

No UN staff were wounded in the strike.

She said UN staff warned people about the dangers of remaining there after Wednesday’s strike but that many chose to stay, “simply because they have absolutely nowhere else to go”.

More than 60% of Gaza is now considered a “no-go” zone because of Israeli evacuation orders, according to Olga Cherevko, a spokesperson for the UN humanitarian aid office.

Hundreds of thousands people are living in squalid tent camps along the coast or in the ruins of their destroyed homes.

Israeli defence minister Israel Katz had earlier said Israel would seize “large areas” and add them to its security zones, apparently referring to an existing buffer zone along Gaza’s entire perimeter.

He called on Gaza residents to “expel Hamas and return all the hostages”, saying “this is the only way to end the war”.

On Sunday, Mr Netanyahu said Israel plans to maintain overall security control of Gaza after the war and implement US President Donald Trump’s proposal to resettle much of its population elsewhere through what the Israeli leader referred to as “voluntary emigration”.

Palestinians have rejected the plan, viewing it as expulsion from their homeland after Israel’s offensive left much of it uninhabitable, and human rights experts say implementing the plan would be likely to violate international law.

Hamas has said it will only release the remaining 59 hostages – 24 of whom are believed to be alive – in exchange for the release of more Palestinian prisoners, a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli pullout.

The group has rejected demands that it lay down its arms or leave the territory.

The decision to resume the war has fuelled protests in Israel, where many fear it has put the hostages at grave risk and are calling for another ceasefire and exchange with Hamas.

The Hostage Families Forum, which represents most captives’ families, said they were “horrified to wake up this morning to the defence minister’s announcement about expanding military operations in Gaza”.

The group called on the Trump administration, which took credit for brokering the ceasefire but has supported Israel’s decision to end it, to do everything possible to free the remaining captives.

“Our highest priority must be an immediate deal to bring ALL hostages back home – the living for rehabilitation and those killed for proper burial – and end this war,” the group said.

In addition to the 15 killed in northern Gaza, Israeli air strikes overnight into Wednesday killed another 28 people across the territory, according to local hospitals.

The Nasser Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis said the dead included five women, one of them pregnant, and two children.

Israel says it targets only militants and makes every effort to spare civilians, blaming Hamas for their deaths because the militants operate in densely populated areas.

Buildings that were destroyed during Israeli ground and air operations in the northern Gaza Strip
Buildings that were destroyed during Israeli ground and air operations in the northern Gaza Strip (Leo Correa/AP)

The war began when Hamas-led militants attacked southern Israel on October 7 2023, killing around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking 251 hostages, most of whom have since been released in ceasefire agreements and other deals.

Israel rescued eight living hostages and has recovered dozens of bodies.

Israel’s offensive has killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say whether those killed are civilians or combatants.

Israel says it has killed around 20,000 militants, without providing evidence.

The war has left vast areas of Gaza in ruins and at its height displaced around 90% of the population.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.