Gianni Infantino says UK is the ‘one valid bid’ for 2035 Women’s World Cup
The football associations of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales announced last month they would submit a joint expression of interest.

The United Kingdom looks almost certain to host the 2035 Women’s World Cup after FIFA president Gianni Infantino described its interest as the “one valid bid” for those finals.
The football associations of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales announced last month they would submit a joint expression of interest in hosting the finals in 10 years’ time.
The deadline for initial expressions of interest passed on Monday and although Spain’s federation president Rafael Louzan last week announced his country’s intention to bid alongside Portugal and Morocco, Infantino indicated the UK bid was the only one being considered.
“We received one bid for 2031 and one bid – one valid bid I should add – for 2035,” he said at the UEFA Congress in Belgrade.
“The 2035 bid is from Europe, from the home nations.”
The UK bid will now go unopposed to FIFA Congress in the second quarter of next year where it could be voted through by acclamation, as the Saudi Arabian bid for the 2034 men’s World Cup was last December. The UK bid will still be subject to the usual FIFA checks, such as an evaluation report.
Infantino confirmed the United States were the sole bidders for 2031, potentially alongside other nations from the CONCACAF confederation which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.
“The path is there for the Women’s World Cup to be taking place in 2031 and 2035 with some great countries to boost even more the women’s football movement,” Infantino added.
England captain Leah Williamson said: “I think having experienced a home tournament which we all realised at the time how lucky we are, I think it’s exciting news for players to know that’s potentially on the horizon.
“The impact 2022 has had, I’m sure you’ll have some stories if England are to host in 2035, I think you’ll have some stories that are pretty special, having led on from that time.”
The 28-year-old Arsenal defender, who led the Lionesses to their first major silverware at the home Euros in 2022, agreed the news could even change the trajectory of some of her team-mates’ careers.
“Stranger things have happened!” she said. “Who knows. But one hundred per cent. If players know that a home tournament is coming up, then one hundred per cent they would I think have that in the back of their mind.”
England manager Sarina Wiegman declared she is “not a coach anymore at that time (2035). I don’t expect myself to be involved as a coach”, but was nevertheless delighted by the development.
She added: “We know with the experience of the Euros how big the game is already here and what that momentum did here in the country, but also worldwide I think.
“Another tournament, on an even bigger stage, will be incredible and that will give another boost to the game.
“It’s an even bigger stage. It’s the biggest female event we have in the world. That’s so exciting, and it will be incredible to have it here.”
Mark Bullingham, the chief executive of the English Football Association, said: “We are honoured to be the sole bidder for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2035. Hosting the first FIFA World Cup since 1966 with our home nations partners will be very special.
“The hard work starts now, to put together the best possible bid by the end of the year.”
Scottish Football Association chief executive Ian Maxwell welcomed the news.

“We look forward to working together to finalise our proposal and lay the foundations for a tournament that will excite football fans around the world and inspire girls and women across Scotland,” he said.
Scottish Women’s Football chief executive Aileen Campbell said: “The significance of this announcement to women and girls in Scotland cannot be understated. Visibility is everything in women’s sport, and the potential impact of hosting the world’s biggest women’s football event on the host nation’s grassroots game can be a game-changer.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer had already given his backing to the bid.
“The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2035 on home turf would be another monumental moment in our sporting history, driving growth and leaving a lasting legacy,” he said. “The FAs’ intention to bid has my government’s full support.”