Express & Star

'Unnecessary': Matheus Cunha frustration at Wolves staff after controversial FA Cup red card incident

Details have emerged around Matheus Cunha's red card and subsequent four match ban following his sending off in Wolves' FA Cup defeat at Bournemouth last month.

Published

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Wolves striker Cunha, who had already been embroiled in controversy earlier in the campaign, having grabbed a member of Ipswich staff's glasses during an altercation, was at the centre of the action at the Vitality Stadium on March 1.

The Brazilian lashed out at defender Milos Kerkez in the final minute of extra time, in a clash that Wolves went on to lose on penalties.

He was handed a straight red card, meaning he was banned for four games but he was slapped with an extra game suspension and fined £50,000 after admitting a charge of improper conduct.

Details surrounding the 25-year-old's conduct during the incident have been revealed following an FA commission which passed down the sanction to Cunha.

The commission heard a statement from fourth official, Rob Jones, who explained how Cunha had become frustrated with the actions of Wolves staff, in trying to restrain him.

Jones believed Cunha thought the Wolves staff were inflaming the situation, before going on to add that he then spoke to Cunha one on one near the tunnel, and he was not disrespectful or aggressive.

Cunha's submissions were read out and he explained how he approached the fourth official following his red card to question why Kerkez had not been dismissed as well.

This is when a handful of Wolves players, including Dan Bentley and Nelson Semedo, and a member of the security staff tried to restrain Cunha, 'touching and pushing him' towards the tunnel.

Cunha said in his statement that these actions were 'completely unnecessary'.

The statement read: "In summary, it was Mr Cunha’s position that as he walked towards the tunnel, after receiving the red card, he could see the Fourth Official. 

"He wanted to ask him why he hadbeen sent off and the AFC Bournemouth player had not also been red carded. However, he had been completely surrounded by people from the Club, be it the Head of Security and his teammate. 

"They kept putting their arms around him, touching him and pushing him towards the tunnel. He believed this to be completely unnecessary, as he was not being confrontational or aggressive with the Fourth Official and intended to go down the tunnel in any case. 

"He did not need to be pushed and shoved by anybody, He felt they were being rough and physical with him, and he wanted them to stop touching him and putting their arms around him. 

"For completeness, Mr Bentley and Mr Fraser acknowledged that they both reacted in the wrong way, but this was well meaning as they did not want Mr Cunha to get in any more trouble after his sending off."

Wolves also argued that an extra game ban was not required and a warning would suffice, however the commission slapped Cunha with a further game suspension, meaning he will not return until after Saturday's clash with Ipswich.

In its findings, the commission said Cunha's reaction to the intervention of Wolves staff was improper and he should have not sought out the fourth official.

It stated: "His colleagues’ conduct was well intentioned and sought to assist Mr Cunha. His reaction to their interventions was improper. 

"Firstly, he should not have sought out the Fourth Official, and secondly, he should not have reacted to his colleagues in the manner that he did. 

"He should have proceeded down the tunnel of his own accord. Given his recent charge, it is unsurprising that his colleagues were sensitive to what had just occurred. 

"This awareness does not appear to have extended to Mr Cunha. He is responsible for his conduct."